1. Unparalleled Flexibility
React is a library focused solely on an application's view layer. That allows developers to freely choose libraries and tools for other tasks like state management, routing, and form validation. This flexibility enables developers to create a custom tech stack tailored to their project's requirements. Unlike Angular Js, a full-featured framework with more strict conventions, React Js allows developers to make architectural decisions.
2. Efficient Performance with Virtual DOM
React introduced the concept of the Virtual DOM. It optimizes rendering by minimizing direct DOM manipulations. The Virtual DOM is an in-memory representation of the actual DOM. It tracks UI changes. Virtual DOM's efficient diffing algorithm identifies and applies only the necessary changes to the actual DOM. That results in fast and consistent performance. While Angular and Vue have adopted similar strategies, React's implementation is mature and highly efficient.
3. Strong Community and Ecosystem
React boasts a large, active community of developers and an extensive ecosystem of libraries and tools. That leads to an abundance of learning resources, tutorials, and third-party packages that streamline development and problem-solving. The React community continuously contributes to the library's and its ecosystem's growth and improvement. That makes it a valuable asset for developers adopting React Js.
4. Easy Transition to Mobile Development with React Native
React allows developers to transition seamlessly to mobile development using React Native. React Native is a popular framework for building cross-platform mobile applications. React Native shares many concepts and patterns with React Js. That enables developers to reuse components and apply their existing knowledge to mobile app development. While Angular Js and Vue Js have their alternatives (NativeScript and Vue Native), React Native is widely considered more mature and stable.
5. Backed by Facebook
React's development and maintenance by Facebook provide a sense of stability and a long-term commitment to the library. This support infuses confidence in developers and organizations adopting React Js, ensuring that it remains a reliable and well-maintained choice for building web applications for the foreseeable future.
6. Component-Based Architecture for Reusable and Maintainable Code
React's component-based architecture promotes the creation of highly reusable and maintainable components. By breaking down complex UIs into smaller, independent components, React Js encourages modular code that is easier to understand and manage. This results in more organized, scalable, and testable codebases than traditional monolithic approaches.
7. Wide Adoption Among Industry Leaders
Many large organizations, including Facebook, Instagram, Airbnb, and Netflix, have embraced React for their web applications. This widespread adoption among industry leaders reinforces React's credibility and effectiveness, making it a proven solution for modern web development.
Who uses React Js?
The following list showcases ten popular websites that use React Js. It's important to note that websites and their tech stacks can change, so the list may need to be updated.
- Facebook (facebook.com): React was developed by Facebook and is used extensively in their primary platform for building user interfaces.
- Instagram (instagram.com): Acquired by Facebook, Instagram also utilizes React for its web application.
- Airbnb (airbnb.com): The popular accommodation-sharing platform uses React for its front-end development.
- Netflix (netflix.com): The world's leading streaming service uses React Js to build and maintain user interfaces.
- WhatsApp (web.whatsapp.com): The web version of the widely-used messaging application uses React Js for its front-end development.
- Dropbox (dropbox.com): A popular file-hosting service that has incorporated React into its web application.
- Atlassian (atlassian.com): The company behind products like Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket uses React for parts of their web applications.
- Reddit (reddit.com): The popular discussion forum has adopted React Js for parts of its front-end development.
- The New York Times (nytimes.com): The renowned news publication employs React for specific interactive features and sections of its website.
- Khan Academy (khanacademy.org): The non-profit educational platform uses React Js to develop and maintain parts of its user interface.
How to determine if a website is using React Js?
The most reliable way is to install the React Developer Tools Chrome extension. It can be added to Chrome from the Google Chrome webstore.